The main activities of the Music School are on a Saturday morning at County Upper School, Bury St. Edmunds between 9:00am and 12 noon. These activities offer younger musicians the experience of playing in a full orchestra, wind band, string orchestra, improvisation group, percussion ensemble and singing in a choir. The 5-note band and Cygnet Strings offer excellent early ensemble experience under the guidance of specialist tutors. Concerts are held in December and June/July (see the Calendar page for details).
The Saturday morning Music School mainly attracts young musicians from school years 4 to 10 and from beginner to grade 4/5 playing standard or equivalent (exams do not need to have been passed).
The schedule of activities on a Saturday Morning is:
- 09:00-09:45 Cygnet Strings, Improvisation Group, Percussion Ensemble
- 10:00-10:45 Senior Wind Band, Junior Wind Band, Senior Strings, Choir
- 11:00-12:00 Full Orchestra, Junior Strings, 5-Note Band
Also held at County Upper School, on a Tuesday evening, guitarists and jazz players can take part in:
And, finally, on a Friday evening our more advanced orchestral musicians progress to:
The calendar of dates for all these activities for 2016-17 can be found SYM West Calendar 2016-17.
If members are unable to attend a rehearsal, or if you want more details then please contact the Music Service:
- Tel. 01473 281866 (Mon-Fri 8:30am – 5:30pm) or
- Tel. 01284 723105 (Voicemail on Friday pm /Saturday am only) or
- email firstname.lastname@example.org (emails read Mon-Fri 8:30am – 5:30pm)